“It is my firm belief that is also supported in the current literature that Cryotherapy will improve cell vitality decrease inflammation, increase mood and energy as if turning back the hands of time by rejuvenating each cell through cold stimulation.” – Dr. Ritacca
For many, many years, big name athletes have used ice baths to recover after intense workouts and fierce competitions. Marathoners, NFL stars, and triathletes all sing praises of the healing power of ice. Most people have used an ice pack at some point to sooth a bump or sore muscle, but do you know why cold temperatures are so therapeutic when you’ve been injured? It’s because immersing the human body in cold temperatures—a process known as cryotherapy in the medical world—has the power to reduce inflammation, pull toxins out of your system, and help deliver oxygen and nutrients to your blood cells. In other words, cryotherapy helps jumpstart your body’s healing response and can enable other significant long-term benefits too.
At Ritacca Cosmetic Surgery & Medspa, we use a specially designed chamber to cool your body to temperatures exceeding -135° F. Called whole body cryotherapy (WBC), this treatment is used by men and women of all ages for a wide range of preventive measures, anti-aging benefits, and to supplement the treatment of some chronic diseases. We offer great treatment options depending on your needs and desired results.
Want to unlock and begin experiencing the benefits of whole body cryotherapy? If you’d like a consultation with our team of WBC experts to build a personalized treatment plan, please call our medspa in Vernon Hills, IL at (847) 367-8815. If you have questions or want to know more, feel free to send us a message through our website.
How Does Whole Body Cryotherapy Work?
Modern medicine has come leaps and bounds in the last 150 years or so, but there’s still a lot we don’t understand about the cause of a lot of chronic diseases. One of the things researchers keep seeing as a common intersection in a lot of conditions; however, is inflammation.
Inflammation is a key piece of your body’s complex immune system. When you’re injured or a foreign body such as a bacteria or a virus has entered your system, inflammation kicks in to send nutrients, blood, and other important building blocks to stabilize and repair the body. Inflammation is good in the short term, but chronic inflammation over a long period is starting to be linked to increased health risks for many life-threatening conditions such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Environmental factors such as the preservatives and chemicals used in processed foods, pollution, and stress can all lead to inflammation, and unfortunately the body can sometimes forget how to flip the off switch. When your body constantly thinks it’s trying to fight off something or heal itself, it can cause all sorts of important processes to break down, which leads to health issues and early signs of aging from premature cellular destabilization. In short, don’t look away from the many dangers of chronic inflammation!
Cryotherapy has been used in primitive forms to relieve inflammation for just about as long as we’ve been able to make ice, but medically it was first used in earnest to treat arthritis about 40 years ago. In the US, whole body cryotherapy is relatively new, but the results and wide range of conditions include better sleep, and less anxiety.
Whole body cryotherapy is administered by putting you in a chamber up to 3 minutes where your body is cooled to sub-zero temperatures. This process causes your body to send signals to your brain because it thinks it is freezing. Your brain’s response is to oxygenate the blood, dilate blood vessels to distribute heat, and to push nutrients to vital organs while flushing them of harmful substances. When you exit the chamber, your body starts absorbing the enriched blood which reduces swelling and inflammation and rejuvenates your cells from the inside out.
What Are the Benefits of Whole Body Cryotherapy?
Clinical research backing the effectiveness of WBC keeps stacking up, and because of the wide range of health benefits from reduced inflammation, so do the number of conditions it seems to positively affect. In general, whole body cryotherapy can be used to help patients with:
- Pain relief: Whole body cryotherapy has a long history when it comes to pain relief. Cold temperatures help numb nerves and optimize blood flow to reduce swelling and inflammation. Whole body cryotherapy can be used for joint, muscle, and chronic lower back pain.
- Weight loss: Some research suggests whole body cryotherapy may be helpful in boosting the body’s own natural metabolic process. The cold temperatures you’re exposed to during whole body cryotherapy make your metabolism adjust to increase your body’s internal temperature, which can supercharge your metabolism throughout the day. Cold temperatures also destabilize fat cells as seen in cryolipolysis treatments such as CoolSculpting®.
- Mental health: Psychologists are starting to understand how symptoms of some mental health conditions may worsen because of chronic inflammation. A small study published in 2008 found that about a third of participants who used cryotherapy to treat anxiety and depression reported better sleep and less anxiety. Some studies are also finding evidence that whole body cryotherapy may be useful in preventing cognitive decline and dementia.
Whole body cryotherapy is also used to aid treatment of many chronic conditions, including:
- Better Sleep
- Improved clarity & focus
- Anxiety & depression relief
- Reduced signs of aging
- Decreased total body inflammation
- Promotion of weight loss
- Alleviation of muscle & joint pain
Ready to Experience the Healing and Rejuvenating Power of Whole Body Cryotherapy?
If you want to learn more about pain relief, reducing inflammation, or rejuvenating your body from the inside out with whole body cryotherapy, contact us for a consultation. You can send us a message using our website or call our medspa located in Vernon Hills, IL at (847) 367-8815.